The Eastern Lancaster County Library, formerly known as New Holland Library, was established in 1933 by the New Holland Business and Professional Women’s Club. At that time, the library existed in a single room in the elementary school and reading material was available only one evening a week. When the first librarian was hired in 1965, the library was housed in one small room of what was then the New Holland Borough Hall.
By the time we moved into our existing building in June of 1997, we were very much in need of the extra space. In addition to being able to provide the room to house more traditional library materials, the extra space has given us an opportunity to provide additional public access computer and more space for library programs.
We employ two full time staff members and nine part-time staff members. The Eastern Lancaster County Library is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of nine members. These trustees have varied backgrounds and reflect a rich diversity of public service and interest in the library community. They serve without compensation.
The library is a place where you can relax with a book or newspaper, enjoy a story time with your children, study, use a public access computer or your own laptop, or attend an educational program. Patrons may check out books, audiobooks, museum passes, DVDs, board games and music CDs. Online resources include free eBook and audiobook borrowing and free online homework help.
Features of our building include:
- Children’s department with public access computers and a large area with toys for play
- Teen section with an abundance of Young Adult materials and places for quiet reading
- Activity room with seating for 60 and a projection screen (rental fees apply)
- Conference room with a table and seating for 10 (rental fees apply)
- Public access computers and free Wi-Fi, with plenty of places to charge your devices
- Seating and study areas throughout the library
The vision of the ELANCO Library is to be a highly valued, all-inclusive community resource for education, empowerment, enlightenment, enrichment and entertainment.