All Together Now! : Summer @ ELANCO Library
Readers Unite at the ELANCO Library!
The Summer Reading Program runs Saturday, June 3 through Saturday, August 12.
Register beginning June 3. Join us all summer long for special events to spark learning, curiosity, and delight in community, music, art, food, stories, and other things which bring us together!
- Saturday, June 3 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Families and individuals of all ages are invited to All Together Now! on Saturday, June 3 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. This special event will feature food, crafts & other fun activities for children, live music by the New Holland Brass, special guests & surprises, and a Community Resource Fair. Admission is free.
- Adults can glean information, resources, and assorted giveaways from: Alcoholics Anonymous, CrossNet Ministries, Community Action Partnership/Parents as Teachers, Dementia Friendly Lancaster, Friendship Community, Garden Spot Village, Garden Spot Fire Rescue, Lancaster County Emergency Management, Lancaster County Parks and Recreation, and others.
- Children can enjoy interactions with a trained and friendly Labrador retriever, the opportunity to explore a fire engine and fire safety trailer, parachute play, STEM activities & crafts, and more!
- All ages (birth through adults) are invited to have fun connecting with neighbors, friends, and community members and to register for the library’s summer reading program.
Register & Log Your Reading Challenge Progress (not available until June 3):
Preview the Reading Challenge (does not start until June 3!):
- Read Aloud (birth-4 years)
- Junior (ages 5-9)
- Tween (ages 10-12)
- Teen (ages 13-19)
- Adults (ages 20 and up) – This special challenge is available at ELANCO Library only!
The Readers Unite Challenge
- Did you finish the challenge early? Ages birth-19 years can keep the fun going and win additional prizes by completing ELANCO Library’s Readers Unite Challenge! Pick up your Readers Unite quest downstairs in the Children’s Library once you have turned in your summer reading logs.
- View list of prizes provided through the Library System of Lancaster County
- Readers ages birth-12 years who complete the Reading Challenge receive a coupon for a free Kid’s Meal at Lickity Split. Many thanks to Mitch and Gina Dissinger, owners, and the rest of the team at Lickity Split for supporting our Summer Reading Program! This special prize is available at ELANCO Library only!
- Each time you complete a Readers Unite Challenge, you get the chance to win a very special gift basket. This extra challenge is available at ELANCO Library only!
- Adults can participate, too!
- ELANCO Library’s Adult Summer Reading Challenge is co-sponsored by Dementia Friendly Lancaster County. The theme of the challenge is Aging. Click here for the reading challenge log, book recommendations, and special events.
- Persons ages 20 & older get the chance to win one of three prize packs which each contain gift cards to local businesses, four free passes to Longwood Gardens, and other goodies, every time they complete a challenge.
- Pick up your challenge log at the library starting June 3.
Why is Summer Reading Important?
GO (Get Outdoors) Lancaster!
- Visit the ELANCO Library to pick up your Go Lancaster! Friendship Journal & etching sheet. (One each per family, please!)
- The guidebook will direct you to 15 posts (each with a unique etching and a four-digit code attached) hidden in local, county, and state parks.
- Once you’ve found a park’s unique post, make your etching on the sheet & write down the four-digit code. (If you are participating in the Summer Reading Program online using Beanstack, check it off the list there, using the four digit code.)
- Once you have completed three parks, show your etching sheet to an ELANCO Library staff member to receive a special prize!
- Keep logging parks in Beanstack to earn chances to win in the GO Lancaster prize drawing. You get one entry for 4 parks and 3 entries when you complete all 15 parks! (Not using Beanstack? Show a library staff member your etchings, and we will make sure you are entered into the drawings!)
- Questions about GO Lancaster? Visit https://lancasterlibraries.org/go-lancaster/ or http://www.golancaster.org/ or contact the Library System of Lancaster County’s Youth Services Department at 717-207-0500 ext. 1238