Oceans of Possibilities: Summer @ ELANCO Library
Dive into Summer at the ELANCO Library!
The Summer Reading Program runs Saturday, June 4 through Saturday, August 13.
Register beginning June 4. Join us all summer long for special events to spark learning, curiosity, and delight in the Oceans of Possibilities found in the world, people, and stories around us.
- Saturday, June 4 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Families and individuals of all ages are invited to Dive into Summer! on Saturday, June 4 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. This special event will feature food, crafts & other fun activities for children, live music by the New Holland Brass, special guests & surprises, and a Community Resource Fair. Admission is free.
- Adults can glean information, resources, and assorted giveaways from: 4-H/Penn State Extension, Alcoholics Anonymous, Community Action Partnership of Lancaster County/Parents as Teachers, CrossNet Ministries, Friendship Community, Garden Spot Middle & High School Library, Garden Spot Village, Kling, Deibler & Glick LLP, Lancaster County Commissioners’ Office, Library System of Lancaster County, Nature’s Yolk Eggs, & Lickity Split Restaurant, and others. Need something notarized? Fethkenher Notary Services, LLC, will be on hand to fill your notarial needs.
- Children can enjoy interactions with miniature ponies, the opportunity to explore a Bookmobile, parachute play, STEM activities & crafts, and more!
- All ages are invited to have fun connecting with neighbors, friends, and community members and to register for the library’s summer reading program.
Register & Log Your Reading Challenge Progress (not available until June 4):
Preview the Reading Challenge (do not start until June 4!):
The Dive Deeper Challenge
- Did you finish the challenge early? Ages birth-19 years can keep the fun going and get the chance to win additional prizes by playing in ELANCO Library’s Dive Deeper Challenge! Pick up your Dive Deeper quest downstairs in the Children’s Library.
- View list of prizes provided through the Library System of Lancaster County
- Readers ages birth-19 years who complete the Reading Challenge receive a coupon for a free Kid’s Meal at Lickity Split. Many thanks to Mitch and Gina Dissinger, owners, and the rest of the team at Lickity Split for supporting our Summer Reading Program!
- Each time you complete a Dive Deeper Challenge, you get the chance to win a very special ocean-themed gift basket.
- Adults can participate, too! Persons ages 20 & older get the chance to win one of three prize packs which each contain gift cards to local businesses, four free passes to Longwood Gardens, and other goodies, every time they complete a challenge.
- Pick up your challenge log at the library starting June 4.
Why is Summer Reading Important?
GO (Get Outdoors) Lancaster!
- Visit the ELANCO Library to pick up your Wayfinder Guidebook & etching sheet. (One each per family, please!)
- The guidebook will direct you to 15 posts (each with a unique etching and a four-digit code attached) hidden in local, county, and state parks.
- Once you’ve found a park’s unique post, make your etching on the sheet & write down the four-digit code. (If you are participating in the Summer Reading Program online using Beanstack, check it off the list there, using the four digit code.)
- Once you have completed three parks, show your etching sheet to an ELANCO Library staff member to receive a special prize!
- Keep logging parks in Beanstack to earn chances to win in the GO Lancaster prize drawing. You get one entry for 4 parks and 3 entries when you complete all 15 parks! (Not using Beanstack? Show a library staff member your etchings, and we will make sure you are entered into the drawings!)
- Questions about GO Lancaster? Visit https://lancasterlibraries.org/go-lancaster/ or http://www.golancaster.org/ or contact the Library System of Lancaster County’s Youth Services Department at 717-207-0500 ext. 1238